Saturday, June 28, 2014

Things I Will Miss That I Came Across Today... 6/28/14

While a post such as this seems incredibly hackneyed, it also serves as a fairly honest character sketch. Additionally, it breaks the monotony of packing, which takes a surprisingly large amount of concentration for me. Jena, on the other hand, can listen to the chaotic announcers of the World Cup at a moment like this. How does she do it?

I will miss my
  1. King of the Hill shirt of Hank's disturbed face with the words, "That boy ain't right!"
  2. penlight from childhood that fell into a toilet bowl
  3. acryilic watchcap in hunter-orange
  4. photocopy of Vonnegut's short story "The Euphio Question" (This story inspired the name of my noise band in college, The Ufio.)
  5. note to myself about the graffiti in the bathroom at the high school where I was a student teacher teaching Emerson and Thoreau (To explain further, "Never Conform" was written in Sharpie across the top of three urinals that were strikingly uniform in appearance.)
  6. spool of blank CDs
  7. origami dog face glued to a Valentine's Day card from Ysabel
  8. remaining collection of pens that say The Homestead
  9. eighth inch to RCA audio converter cable
This is only a cursory list and predictive of course; yet, it illuminates the pains of packing's one's life into two checked bags, a carry-on, and a personal item such as a purse or laptop bag. To add injury to insult, I may even have a slight amount of extra room left over because my bags are not at maximum capacity or maximum weight. Will I take some of these treasured items and shove them into the polyester caverns of my luggage? Probably not. I bid a loving adieu and wait for more treasures to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment